Saturday, August 15, 2015

Mae's Baking Powder Biscuits



So my guy was talking about what to make for breakfast this beautiful, Saturday morning and said that biscuits and sausage gravy sounded really good.  Well, short of going to a restaurant and spending more money than we wanted to, I decided to spoil him with some made from scratch biscuits and gravy. I though that as long I was spoiling him, I should take pictures to share with all y'all.  So here ya go!

This recipe is my Aunt Mae's, my mom's sister's recipe.  She was a wonderful cook and though she has been gone for many years, her biscuits are alive and well at the Jolley home.  I love this recipe. Hope you will too!

Start by mixing all of the dry ingredients together. I didn't show the ingredients so forgive me.  Cut in the shortening until crumbly and then add the milk.  Mix until just incorporated - it will be sticky!
Pour it out onto a floured countertop.  Pat a little flour around it so you can handle it BUT DO NOT handle it too much!




Pat out the dough with your fingers to around 3/4 inch thick.  Cut into circles. I just used the top of a drinking glass. Now this picture doesn't show very many.  I only made a half batch of dough and I cut them a little larger than I usually do.
Place them on a lightly greased or sprayed pan.  Now I want you to see that little bit larger biscuit in the upper right hand corner of the picture. Well, when all of the biscuits have been cut and you have that little bit of dough left over, you just kind of work it with your hands into a loosely put together round. I'll tell you about that one in the next part!
Look how beautiful they are and believe me, they taste beautiful too.  Okay, see that loosely put together biscuit, now in the upper left hand corner. Well, this is how I remember it as a kid.  My mother used to always get that biscuit. Now I never ever asked her why she took that one but I have a couple of ideas.  I think she took that biscuit because she didn't think it might be as good as the others because it kind of falls apart.  That's what I think but let me tell you why I have dibs on that one. I am a little selfish when it comes to that biscuit.  It is my favorite.  It is the biscuit that just falls apart and that's why I love it. I take each little piece and slather it with butter and jam or honey.  MMMMM- it's the best!
Well, here's the final product.  Homemade sausage gravy over light as air biscuits.  Of course, they had to be served with hand cut home fries, Right? 
And my big, fall apart biscuit???  Well, as they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words.   Enjoy! Because I did for sure!  Happy baking!


Mae's Baking Powder Biscuits

2 cups Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
4 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Cream of Tarter
2 tsp. Sugar
1/2 cup Shortening
2/3 cup Milk

Mix the dry ingredients together.  Cut in the shortening until it is crumbly.  Stir in the milk with a fork until just combined. Dump out onto a lightly floured counter top.  Pat to about 3/4 inch thick.  Cut into circles and put on a slightly greased pan.

Bake at 450* for 12 minutes or until golden brown.  Do not overbake.

No comments:

Post a Comment