Wednesday, July 21, 2010

16 minute (give or take a minute) Beef and Bean Burritos



I wanted to try something that would fit into an easy main dish. I found this very easy recipe on The Pioneer Woman. I've decided I really LOVE her! This fit the bill for easy and I just used the microwave and didn't heat up this house on such a hot day. I hope you will enjoy this recipe. It has a little kick but that's okay sometimes you just have to kick life in the butt! (OOPS! sorry)



I used 85% lean ground beef. I was faithful about using 93% lean ground beef until I found The Pioneer Woman. Like she says, "a little fat makes the beef taste much better". You know what? She is right. 93% is tough and weird tasting. Actually, this burger didn't have much fat at all.

I have been using El Pato sauce for the last 35 years to make my enchilada sauce so I was excited to try it in this recipe. This is where the bite comes from. You can buy this in your grocery store on the Mexican (can I say that?) food aisle. I will include my enchilada sauce recipe at the end of this post.

Add the El Pato sauce to the meat.


Layer everything on the tortilla


Of course, I added more cheese. (Add cheese to your refried beans. I thought I took some pics of that but I don't know where they went!)


Fold them all neat and top with sauce if you want.



We topped out burritos with a little enchilada sauce, more cheese, sour cream and lettuce. We liked this recipe. I would make it again because it is so fast and yummy. Natalie would prefer my chicken enchiladas which are just chicken and cheese rolled in a tortilla and topped with my enchilada sauce, sour cream and lettuce.

Try these out. I think you will like them. Have fun!

Sixteen Minute Beef and Bean Burritos

Ingredients
2 pounds Ground Beef
½ whole Medium Onion
1 can (7 Ounce) Mexican Tomato Sauce Or Enchilada Sauce
Salt And Pepper, to taste
Cumin, Oregano, Chili Powder, Garlic To Taste
1 can (28 Ounce) Refried Beans
¾ cups Grated Cheddar Cheese
12 whole Burrito-sized Flour Tortillas
Extra Grated Cheese, For Sprinkling
Extra Sauce, For Drizzling
Cilantro Leaves, Optional
Optional Filling Ingredients: Mexican Rice, Sour Cream, Guacamole, Green Chilies, Pico De Gallo
Preparation Instructions
Brown ground beef with onion and season to taste. Pour in sauce and simmer over low heat. Add water if mixture gets too dry.
Heat refried beans in a saucepan. Add cheese and stir in till melted. Keep warm.
Heat tortillas in microwave for one minute.
Spread a small amount of beans on each tortilla. Add meat. Fold over ends, then roll up. Place two burritos on a microwave-safe plate. Drizzle red sauce over the top and sprinkle with more grated cheddar. Microwave for one minute, or until cheese is melted and burritos are very hot. Serve immediately.
OPTIONAL: Fill burritos with any optional ingredients you like. (I love them full, but my boys like them very plain.)


Marjean's Enchilada Sauce

1 can El Pato sauce
1 can 8 oz. tomato sauce
2 cans Cream of Chicken or Mushroom soup

Mix all together and pour over your favorite enchiladas. Has a kick so you can use sour cream to neutralize the heat.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I too, love the Pioneer Woman. It's so fun to visit her website! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were good. We liked them a lot. The Jones family got a little taste test as well and they really liked them. I will probably make them again.

    ReplyDelete