Saturday, December 11, 2010

English Toffee



I have always wanted to make English Toffee. It really is very easy. All you need is a few ingredients and a candy thermometer that works. If you don't have a candy thermometer you can always use the cold water in a bowl method. My thermometer was broken when I tested it today so I went with the cold water test. Also with toffee you can kind of tell with your eyes. I kept watching the timer because the recipe said it takes about 10 minutes but I let it go a little too long (only cooked it about 7 minutes). It's not burned but tastes like it would have been in about 1 second of more cooking. Watch it. You can tell when it's the color of toffee then it's done. Good luck. Kitchen Kneads here I come for a decent candy thermometer:)




This recipe doesn't have many ingredients.





Make sure you butter the pan with quite a bit of butter. The recipe calls for pecans to mixed into it before you pour it into the pan but I have kids who don't like nuts so I just layered some chopped pecans on half of the pan.




As the butter and sugar begin to bubble make sure you stir constantly. It will scorch on the bottom if you don't.








I spread the top of the toffee with mile chocolate chips and waited until they softened. Spread it over the top with a spatula. I sprinkled chopped pecans over the half that has pecans in it. I decided it would be fun to get funky so I melted some white chocolate melts and with a fork worked a little magic. Kind of fun!





















Yummy and so so easy! This just screams holidays. Enjoy :0)


ENGLISH TOFFEE CANDY
1 c. granulated sugar
1/2 lb. butter
3 tbsp. water
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. pecans
Mix well and cook until brown (about 10 minutes). Stir continually. It may take longer depending on how high the heat is. If it separates, keep on boiling and it will mix back together again. It must be brown. Put in 3/4 cup of chopped pecans. Pour into buttered pan. Lay 4 small Hershey's bars across the hot mass and spread. Sprinkle nuts on top, if desired. Cool and break into pieces

1 comment:

  1. Its really conservatives and testiest products thanx for enlightening us.

    Gourmet Brownies obtains classic confection, Very tasty chocolate covered English Toffee . for any Special occasions don't missed.

    ReplyDelete